An internationally renowned martial artist, instructor and referee, Benny Meng has devoted his entire lifetime to the field of martial arts starting from age 10. He has been featured by national news and major martial arts publications as among the world's best martial artists. He has fought and won against some of the "world's best," both in the U.S. and in the Orient. Master Meng has also performed numerous international martial arts demonstrations nationally, astounding on-lookers with feats of concentration, speed, and special techniques!
Master Meng studied martial arts all over the Orient. He started his martial arts training in Hong Kong (1970-Judo). He began broadening his skills and knowledge with Tae Kwon Do training in 1974 under Grand Master Y.C. Kim (9th Dan, WTF) in the United States. Additional Tae Kwon Do training included Grand Master K. J. Park, former Head Judge at the Kuk Ki Won, the Korean Headquarters for Tae Kwon Do. He has enjoyed the privilege of studying under several famous Kung Fu Grand Masters from various styles. Beginning in 1981, Benny Meng embarked on an extended study of martial arts that took him to: Hong Kong (1981-Tai Chi Mantis & Ving Tsun) Mainland China (1983-Shaolin Temple and Sichuan Sports University), Korea (1985-Tae Kwon Do with the Korean National Team) and Taiwan (1985-Shaolin, Chi Kung).
Benny Meng began his Wing Chun Kung Fu training in Hong Kong in 1982 under the movie star Sifu Lee Hoi Sang, a student of Jiu Wan. Jiu Wan had completed training in the Wing Chun system through Chan Yiu Min in China prior to beginning his training with Yip Man. Chan Yiu Min was the son of Chan Wah Shun, the first teacher of Yip Man. Benny Meng's training under Lee Hoi Sang was interrupted after 1½ years of intense study by his return to the United States. He resumed full time training under Sifu Moy Yat in New York City in 1985. He officially started teaching Wing Chun in 1987.
In 1994, Benny Meng began another journey through the system with Sifu Moy Yat through private lessons. With Moy Yat's blessing, he began another journey through the system in 1995 via extensive private lessons with his Sibaak (kung fu uncle) Yip Ching. The Ving Tsun Museum, the Ving Tsun Athletic Association, and the Moy Yat International Ving Tsun Federation certified him as a Senior Instructor (7th Degree).
With the establishment of the Ving Tsun Museum project in 1993, Benny Meng's passion for Wing Chun research has been fueled at an ever-accelerating rate by his position as Curator. To broaden the knowledge of his original Wing Chun system, he sought further research and training from numerous lineages different from the Yip Man style. Benny Meng had the privilege of studying under Sifu Garrett Gee, inheritor of the Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun lineage in 1998. In the summer of 2000, Benny Meng became Sifu Gee's first disciple.
Master Meng's school is recognized worldwide, affiliated with the International Moy Yat Ving Tsun Federation (USA), the Ving Tsun Athletic Association (Hong Kong), the Fatsaan Jing Mo (China), the Wushu and Kuoshu Kung Fu Federations (USA), and the World Tae Kwon Do Federation (USTU).
- A principle founder and Curator of the Ving Tsun Museum in Dayton, Ohio
- 7th Level Senior Instructor, Ving Tsun Athletic Association, Hong Kong
- 7th Degree Kung fu Black Sash (IMYVTKF)
- 5th Degree Tae Kwon Do Black Belt (WTF)
- Instructor in Chin Na and Tai Chi Chuan
- Noted Author of Books and Magazine Articles
- State and National Championships in Kung Fu and Tae Kwon Do
- Outstanding Instructor and International Hall of Fame Awards
- National Director & Referee, WKF Wing Chun Competition Events
- A.S. Degree in Acupuncture
- Master Instructor for the Chinese Cultural Centers in Dayton and Cincinnati, Ohio
Master Benny Meng
The Meng's Martial Arts School System is different from other martial arts centers. It follows the establishment of local clubs in the Ohio area since 1978. After finishing the Ving Tsun system in New York under Moy Yat, he returned to Dayton, Ohio and opened his first school in 1987. In 1994 Meng's Martial Arts was chosen for the prestigious Top 200 Schools of North America award out of more than 15,000 contenders. Since that time, Meng's has grown to an integrated network of branches incorporating a complete system utilizing the purest form of authentic traditional martial arts and science teaching and development. Today, Meng's Martial Arts in one of only three schools in the world that offers the martial science of Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun. The results of Meng's teaching speak for themselves:
- National and State champions every year since opening in 1987
- School recognized by international publications and martial arts promoters as one of the largest and most successful school systems in North America (6 branch schools throughout the U.S. and over 50 affiliates around the world)
- School decorated by the City of Huber Heights 6 times for special achievement in the development of local youths
- School decorated by the Ohio Senate and Ohio House of Representatives
- Co-sponsor of annual Battle of Dayton
Benny Meng personally strives for quality, not quantity in his teaching. He aims to develop the "elite of the elite." Each student is encouraged to strive to develop the "Master" level and to reach the highest plateau of martial arts through personal dedication, knowledge, and patience. Training under Master Meng is a true learning experience for the young child to the senior citizen.