November 2-4, 2001

Hung Fa Yi Workshop Comments

I felt the seminar was well worth the time and expense for several reasons. First, getting instruction directly from the inheritor of the Hung Fa Yi system was priceless. There was no lack of detail, and questions were answered immediately and thoroughly. I was most pleased that Master Gee continuously queried the audience for questions and then took the time to answer every question thoroughly.

Second, I found it very helpful that the seminar and presentation was well-planned and thought out. Although I have been studying Hung Fa Yi for a year, This was the first time I was exposed to the Body Mechanics drilling (Siu Lim Tau). This approach, in its structure, helped me focus on specific training aspects and technical detail. The seminar provided me with a solid, replicable base from which to train. I found the clarity in which details were presented indispensable.

I think the powerpoint slide presentation was most helpful. If it had been missing, the details and connections between 2-Line and 5-Line Jong Sau would have been much more difficult to follow. In the absence of the powerpoint slides, handouts with the same level of detail would be necessary.

In all, the seminar helped focus and solidify my Hung Fa Yi training.

Jason K. Walz

This past seminar was intimate in detail and simplicity. To understand the simplecity one has to understand the details involved. To understand the simplicity is to have a paradigm shift. This shift in thinking has created a new foundation to build on. The foundation of alignment of lines and reference points in space.

What gained the most value from the seminar was body mechanic checkpoints and two-line theory.

An example of checkpoint, one has wrist position on centerline, between middle and high reference point, elbow one fist distance from chest and on yin line. Pak sau was also used as an exercise to understand the structure of checkpoint.

In two-line theory, one captures their centerline in reference to the incoming attack. If the attack is intercepted on the centerline and, depending on the energy in the opponents elbow, will determine if a tan sau is necessary or simple direct attack with the hand that is intercepted. In the case where the opponents elbow is out on the attack, a capture of centerline and biu sau is appropriate.

As I practice the body mechanics it is easier to see the lines and checkpoints. In short this is the detail and simplicity of my paradigm shift.

I am most thankful and appreciative to Si Tai Gung Gee for sharing the science of Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun.

Sincerely,
Ned Begay

The latest Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun seminar at Meng's of AZ brought to my perspective more clarity on how to train the HFY system and what is it all about. Throughout the seminar more concepts were introduced to us; illustrated by ingenious exercise drills giving everyone the desired results to express the concepts and theories on a consistent level. The stages we went through to learn new techniques and ideas had a clear and distinct pattern throughout. I saw the learning process for the system being unveiled for the first time.

It was so clear that because HFY is a complete system, it is learned and employed to its very essence systematically, and in no other fashion. The teachers of HFY were very generous and unselfish with their knowledge and willingness to help and encourage their students also. They consistently answered every question, told of past experiences, and had historical discussions on Hung Fa Yi's relationship to China's past. There were so many treasures given to us, and our true appreciation for this will definitely last forever. We are truly grateful for what they have given to us.

I fully believe that Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun is the Diamond of the Shaolin Temple because it shines in all directions, it is the relationship between life and death, it is the philosophy of a compassionate warrior, it is perfection. I give many thanks for the warm hospitality of the seminar host(s), for their knowledge, for their time and their leadership and showing me the true meaning of Maximum Efficiency!

Sincerely,
-Savi Kruoch

This being my first Hung Fa Yi workshop, I didn't know quite what to expect. The introductions were brief, and from the beginning the material covered was both intense and interesting. Si Tai Gung Gee was very fluid and thorough in his presentation. He answered every question posed and kept asking for more. His willingness to share his knowledge is phenomenal and inspiring. The history of Hung Fa Yi that was covered aided a great deal in my understanding of the Hung Fa Yi system. Aside from historical background, Grand Master Gee's philosophies pointed me toward an entirely new level of comprehension.

The first night consisted mainly of discussions on Hung Fa Yi principles and attendant questions. The second and third day were much more physical. The exercises learned continue to inspire a deeper look into the structures and principles behind our techniques. For a beginner like me, the help and explanations from our Si Suks and elder brothers was phenomenal. With each question answered, the desire to learn and drill grew stronger. The result of the weekend was "Seeing the Light." of Hung Fa Yi. It is definitely a beacon beckoning us to go forth in our personal development. Thank you to all who made this possible.  

David Escarcega

The workshop with Si Tai Gung Gee was extraordinary in all aspects. First, he never left anyone confused on a single question asked of him. He was not shy in demonstrating how an exercise was supposed to be performed and emphasized the true meaning and intent behind each exercise and motion. Garrett Gee never talked down to any person, present or not present. He appears very warm-hearted. Despite his experience and status in the Hung Fa Yi system, he made everyone feel comfortable and welcome.

The workshop itself contained so much information that it left no room for boredom. We did not have time sit down much, as we drilled and practiced every concept and the answer to every question. I appreciated the workout! The history portion of the workshop, in itself, was so interesting that everyone strained to hear every word. Lastly, everyone was very courteous. This allowed a comfort level enjoyed by both the speakers and the listeners that promoted openness and knowledge sharing. I am very much looking forward to in-depth practice with Sifu Loewenhagen on each of the Siu Lim Tau drills we were introduced to. I shall most certainly look forward to Si Tai Gung Gee's and Master Meng's next visit. I also look forward to training at their Kwoons as well some day.

Martin Rivas

What I liked most about this workshop were the stage Grand Master Gee broke all of the exercises into. Being a conceptual thinker, knowing the reasons for each drill and how it fit into the big picture of overall skill and knowledge development, was right up my alley! It made everything easier for me to digest. After the seminar I felt my sensitivity go up and my body structure starting to correct itself. All of the information in the three day seminar felt like a years worth of geometry and philosophy study. This is my second Hung Fa Yi workshop with Si Tai Gung, They keep getting better and more intense. I'm looking forward to incorporating all of this material into my Hung Fa Yi kung fu.

Jamar Jackson

Grand Master Gee discussing fundamental training

Grand Master Gee adjusting a workshop participant's structure

Grand Master Gee training with Benny Meng

Grand Master Gee training with Richard Loewenhagen

Grand Master Gee, members of the HFY Master Club, and workshop participants

Grand Master Gee presenting Allen Kong with an official HFY school banner as Benny Meng and Ricahrd Loewenhagen look on.

Sifu Meng presenting Wayne Schulz with an official HFY school banner

Hung Fa Yi organizational meeting

Presents for Grand Master Gee and Benny Meng from Richard Loewenhagen - martial art chipmunks with nunchuka!

A view of Meng's Martial Arts of Arizona from the parking lot

Grand Master Gee discussing Wing Chun next to the Meng Mobile
Contact us!
Your message was successfully sent!

2 + 2 =